Skip to main content
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I submit an ILL request? All Interlibrary Loan and document delivery requests are submitted through our Docs2Go online portal. Please be as complete as possible with your citation; for articles, including the PubMed ID (if your article is indexed in PubMed) will greatly speed processing.
- How long does it take? Articles are normally delivered within 24-72 hours. Rush service guarantees delivery within one business day; there is an extra $10 charge for this service. Books can take 1-2 weeks, depending on where they are shipped from.
- How will I be notified when my material arrives? You will receive an email containing a unique link and password to retrieve your article once it arrives. If you have requested a book, we will email you when it is ready for pickup. Please pickup and drop off your ILL item at the Himmelfarb circulation desk to ensure that it is checked in properly.
- What format will my article be in? When we receive your article and are ready to deliver it to you, we will send you an email informing you that your article is ready to be viewed on your Documents2Go account. From there you can download the article to PDF format for your records.
- What is LoansomeDoc? How is it different from ILL? LoansomeDoc is a service by which you can order articles directly from a PubMed record. It requires a few extra steps to register. If you're going to be requesting from several PubMed records, you may find this service to be helpful. Non-affiliates may use LoansomeDoc as well. The same charges apply as with normal ILL requests.
- Will I have to pay? SMHS, GWSPH, and SON students, staff, and faculty are entitled to 15 free ILL requests per semester to support their research. Children's National Health System patrons, residents and fellows of accredited programs are covered by the Graduate Medical Education office or their respective programs.
- Can I include my department's Banner index number? Yes; we will require authorization from your department head granting us permission to charge your department's Banner account. An email is sufficient for this purpose.
- Can I renew my ILL book? Renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library. Should you need a renewal, please contact the ILL office and we will request one from the lender. We will notify you if the renewal is granted, with a new due date, or denied--in which case, the original due date applies.
- What happens if I lose or damage my ILL book? Libraries lend us their materials as a courtesy, and borrowers are expected to treat ILL items on loan with the same care and attention as Himmelfarb resources. Lost or damaged materials are subject to any and all additional fees levied by the lending library.
- How may I contact the ILL staff? We are happy to answer any questions you may have about the Himmelfarb ILL program. Feel free to reach us at (202) 994-2860 or by email at email@example.com