Skill set to understand and use:
- Write a good thesis for your paper
- Know the difference between primary and secondary sources
- Know where to find primary source and secondary source material
- Use more than one database (you'll have to!) and learn how to search
- Be able to find and use statistical information
- Evaluate Internet resources and use judiciously
- Create citations using appropriate tools
- Ask for help when needed
Medicine and Chocolate is not a research question.
When, why, who and what factors influenced the decline of chocolate as a medicine? is a research question
Slave culture is not a research question.
How did slaves preserve African cultures in their everyday lives? is a research question.
Find a topic that will:
- Fulfill your instructor's assignment
- Be of interest to you (if possible)
- Have identifiable information available
- and one that you will have a basic understanding of concepts
- be manageable in the time allotted for the project
Ask yourself a couple questions:
- Has your topic been researched before?
- Is the information publically available? Easy to obtain?
- Does the information address all parts of the specific assignment?