Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Himmelfarb Library is open to patrons that have been approved to be on campus during phase 1 of reopening, GW residents, students currently enrolled in on-site classes or on clinical rotations, and MD students in the virtual track. Approved users must present a GWorld card; other forms of identification are not currently accepted. Our hours (subject to change) are:
Monday - Thursday: 8am - 8pm (Update: 8am - 10pm starting 10/25/2020)
Friday: 8am - 6pm
Saturday: 12n - 8pm
Sunday: 12n - 8pm (Update: 12n - 10pm starting 10/25/2020)
Himmelfarb Library has implemented a number of safety measures to promote social distancing and safeguard your health.
- Users are required to wear a mask at all times inside the library.
- Directional signs will be posted throughout the library to indicate proper distancing and traffic flow.
- Only one person at a time may use the elevator; priority goes to handicapped users.
- Our stairwells will be one-directional:
- To go up, use the stairwell on the Courtyard side of the building next to the elevator.
- To go down, use the stairs on the 23rd Street side of the Library.
Using study spaces
- We have arranged study tables and chairs in a way that ensures 6 ft. of space between users. Floor decals will be used as markers for each and every approved seat to make sure that the patrons are social distancing
- Please do not move furniture.
- Keep chairs stationed over their floor decals.
- All study rooms at Himmelfarb Library MUST be reserved in advance on our web page.
- To ensure that all students have access to our limited spaces, individuals may reserve a room for a maximum of 4 hours per day.
- Only 1 user is permitted in a study room at a time, except in the following rooms:
- 2 users are permitted in: B100B, B100A, 201, 203G, 204H, 203C, 204C, 304I, 304C, and 305H.
- 4 users are permitted in: 303.
- Please limit the amount of food and drink you bring into the library (You can only eat in a library carrel or study room.). Please clean up your space before you leave.
- Hand sanitizer and wipes will be available throughout Himmelfarb.
Handling library materials
- If you pull a book off the shelf that you don’t plan to check out, please return it to a shelving cart.
- Library staff will quarantine all books on carts for 3 days after usage.
- Library staff will quarantine all borrowed books for 3 days upon check-in.
- Borrowed equipment will be cleaned upon return and prior to checkout.
- Restrooms will have a one-person occupancy limit.
- Please announce yourself before entering to make sure the restroom is unoccupied.
- To open the door without using your hands, use the “foot puller” .
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
- Text a librarian at 202-601-3525
- Send an email to: email@example.com
- Call the Circulation Desk at 202-994-2962
Navigating Other GW Libraries