The Himmelfarb Library is open to patrons that have been approved to be on campus during phase 1 of reopening, GW residents, students currently enrolled in on-site classes or on clinical rotations, and MD students in the virtual track. Approved users must present a GWorld card; other forms of identification are not currently accepted. Our hours (subject to change) are:
Mondays – Thursdays: 8am – 8pm
Fridays: 8am – 6pm
Saturday – Sunday: 12n – 8pm
Himmelfarb Library has implemented a number of safety measures to promote social distancing and safeguard your health.
- Users are required to wear a mask at all times inside the library.
- Directional signs will be posted throughout the library to indicate proper distancing and traffic flow.
- Only one person at a time may use the elevator; priority goes to handicapped users.
- Our stairwells will be one-directional:
- To go up, use the stairwell on the Courtyard side of the building next to the elevator.
- To go down, use the stairs on the 23rd Street side of the Library.
Using study spaces
- We have arranged study tables and chairs in a way that ensures 6 ft. of space between users. Floor decals will be used as markers for each and every approved seat to make sure that the patrons are social distancing
- Please do not move furniture.
- Keep chairs stationed over their floor decals.
- All study rooms at Himmelfarb Library MUST be reserved in advance on our web page.
- To ensure that all students have access to our limited spaces, individuals may reserve a room for a maximum of 4 hours per day.
- Only 1 user is permitted in a study room at a time, except in the following rooms:
- 2 users are permitted in: B100B, B100A, 201, 203G, 204H, 203C, 204C, 304I, 304C, and 305H.
- 4 users are permitted in: 303.
- Please limit the amount of food and drink you bring into the library (You can only eat in a library carrel or study room.). Please clean up your space before you leave.
- Hand sanitizer and wipes will be available throughout Himmelfarb.
Handling library materials
- If you pull a book off the shelf that you don’t plan to check out, please return it to a shelving cart.
- Library staff will quarantine all books on carts for 3 days after usage.
- Library staff will quarantine all borrowed books for 3 days upon check-in.
- Borrowed equipment will be cleaned upon return and prior to checkout.
- Restrooms will have a one-person occupancy limit.
- Please announce yourself before entering to make sure the restroom is unoccupied.
- To open the door without using your hands, use the “foot puller” .
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
- Text a librarian at 202-601-3525
- Send an email to: email@example.com
- Call the Circulation Desk at 202-994-2962