Skip to main content
- If you don't already have one, create an Apple ID.
Note: if you already have an Apple ID, use your existing Apple ID.
Himmelfarb Library App Shelf
App information tools and resources provided as part of Himmelfarb Library's collections; also includes selected free apps.
Free and fee-based apps for PDF Readers, note taking, and GW services.
- Select GWireless
- Login with your @gwu.edu login/password.
2. Anesthesiology Residency @ GW Bookmark
About this website: Information for anesthesiology residents including books, rotation readings, and apps.
When you will use it: to find the required apps list and instructions and in the future to locate and link to readings.
- On your iPad, open Safari and access this webpage: http://guides.himmelfarb.gwu.edu/anesthesia
- In the upper right of the Safari screen, click on the box with an up arrow.
- Select Add to Home Screen; you may also choose Add Bookmark.
3. GW email
- From your home screen, go to Settings.
- In Settings, tap Accounts.
- Tap Add Account then choose Google.
- On the Google login screen, enter your full email address including @email.gwu.edu then hit Go (no password entered).
- On the GW email screen, enter your GW Net ID and password.
- Choose the items you want to sync (generally just Mail and Calendar) then tap Save.
- Press the Home button then access Mail. After a minute or two you will see your email begin to appear in your Inbox.
4. Citrix Receiver
About this app: App required to access GW Hospital's clinical information systems.
To access GW Hospital system:
- Download Citrix Workspace app.
- Set address to: https://gwportal.gwu-hospital.com
- Set domain to: CORP
Tip: Surginet is located in the Fusion Cerner area.
To access GW MFA system:
- Open Safari, then access this website: https://citrix.mfa.gwu.edu
- Enter your Citrix login/password
- Touch/select CITRIX Allscripts
- Touch/select Open in “Receiver”
- Login to Touchworks/Allscripts using your personal user name and the password.
5. DynaMed Plus
About this app: DynaMed is a point-of-care information resource which includes drug and disease information. DynaMed contains more topics than Epocrates Essentials and also provides more detail on clinical interventions and the quality of evidence for that information. DynaMed is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to find evidence-based information on specific conditions and diagnostic approaches.
- Access DynaMed Plus then click on Get the DynaMed Plus Mobile App in the menu on the left side of the screen and enter your email address.
- Install DynaMed Plus app.
- On your iPad, open the DynaMed Plus email message and click on the authentication key to activate your app.
Note: you can use the same email to activate DynaMed Plus on up to three devices; the emailed authentication key is good for 48 hours.
About this resource: ClinicalKey is a full-text clinical library providing access to 1,100+ full-text e-books, 600+ full-text electronic journals and additional clinical research information tools. ClinicalKey is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to read core anesthesia e-books and search for clinical information.
- Access ClinicalKey then click on Register in the upper right area of the screen and provide information to create a free personal .
- Access to ClinicalKey is provided by Himmelfarb Library and the creation of an individual username/password will allow you to access PDF chapters of e-books and create/download presentations from ClinicalKey's extensive image library.
- To test your account, access Chapter 18 Peripheral Nerve Blocks from Basics of Anesthesia (Miller, 2018) then access the PDF of the chapter.
About this app: Lexicomp is a comprehensive clinical drug information app including Lexi-Drugs and Lexi-Interact. Lexicomp is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to look up specific drugs; to identify possible drug interactions; to identify visually identify drugs.
- Access Lexi-Comp and select the blue button for for Mobile Access Codes.
- Select the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad platform and that you are a new customer; copy the authorization code displayed in red. You can copy directly from your iPad by holding your finger on the code and selecting copy from the pop-up menu.
- Create a personal Lexicomp account then login to your Lexicomp account.
- Under Add a Subscription by Code, paste or type the Lexicomp authorization code. To paste, hold your finger in the desired location and choose Paste from the pop-up menu.
- Install Lexicomp app.
- Open Lexicomp app and login with your Lexicomp login/password; Lexicomp content will automatically load to your iPad.
About this app: Browzine is a bookshelf app which allows you to select your favorite full-text journals from Himmelfarb Library's online collections to scan issues and read or save articles. Browzine is designed to help you keep up with your favorite journals and stay up to date in your field.
When you will use it: This app is designed to help you stay uptodate on information in your field and can be customized to mirror your specific interests.
- Install Browzine app.
- On your iPad, open the Browzine app and then select Settings and choose George Washington University – Himmelfarb Library.
- A login screen will display automatically; login with your GWNet ID and password (i.e. the same login/password used for GW email).
- Select BrowZine Library and then Titles A-Z.
- Locate Anesthesiology and the Anesthesia & Analgesia; add each of these journals to your Bookshelf. You will be prompted to create (and verify via email) a Browzine account.
- You may also add additional titles of interest to you to your Browzine Bookshelf.
9. Medical Letter
About this app: The Medical Letter publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of previously approved drugs.
- Access The Medical Letter and register for mobile access.
- Install Medical Letter app.
- On your iPad, open the Medical Letter app then login.
10. Additional Recommended Apps 2019-20
Intended for anesthesia clinical and practice management professionals; consists of a CPT, ASA or ICD search by code, keyword or category. CPT/ASA code lookup is combined with the CPT/ASA Crosswalk. Access: Free
Point-of-care clinical decision calculators. Access: Free
Remember the Star Trek computer? It's finally happening--with Wolfram|Alpha. Building on 25 years of development led by Stephen Wolfram, Wolfram|Alpha has rapidly become the world's definitive source for instant expert knowledge and computation. Access: $2.99
Himmelfarb App Shelf
Apps provided by Himmelfarb as well as selected additional apps.