Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Off Campus Access
The Himmelfarb Library provides access to 125+ electronic databases, 6,700+ electronic books, and 6,500+ electronic journals licensed by Himmelfarb Library, the Gelman Library, and/or the George Washington University for use by faculty, staff and students. To use these resources when off-campus, you must login using your GW UserID and password.
From the GW University Hospital, Himmelfarb Library provides direct access (no login required) to clinical information resources and a focused collection of electronic journals and books. To access Himmelfarb Library's complete collections from the GW Hospital, GW affiliates should login with their GW UserID and password.
Instructions for connection via the VPN (Recommended)
Download and install the VPN client, Cisco AnyConnect.
Connecting to the VPN
- On your computer, start the program Cisco AnyConnect.
- Login to VPN with your GW UserID (the portion prior to the @) and password.
- You can now access databases, e-texts, and e-journals via the Himmelfarb Library website without any additional logins.
For additional information, go to GW Information Technology: Software.
Instructions for connection via Web Login
- Access the Himmelfarb Library website, and select the database, e-text, or e-journal which you would like to access.
- When the 'George Washington University Single Sign-on' webpage is displayed, securely login with your GW UserID and password (i.e. the same login/password used for your GW email and Blackboard).
- Accounts created before May 22, 2022: Your full email address is your UserID followed by "@gwmail.gwu.edu" (students) or "@email.gwu.edu" (faculty/staff).
- Accounts created after May 22, 2022: Your GWID (G#) is your UserID followed by "@gwmail.gwu.edu" (students) or "@email.gwu.edu" (faculty/staff).
- The database, e-text, or e-journal that you selected will display automatically.