Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- If you don't already have one, create an Apple ID.
Note: if you already have an Apple ID, use your existing Apple ID.
Himmelfarb Library App Shelf
App information tools and resources provided as part of Himmelfarb Library's collections; also includes selected free apps.
Free and fee-based apps for PDF Readers, note taking, and GW services.
- Select MFA - Guest wifi; no password required.
2. Anesthesiology Residency @ GW Bookmark
About this website: Information for anesthesiology residents including books, rotation readings, and apps.
When you will use it: to find the required apps list and instructions and in the future to locate and link to readings.
- On your iPad, open Safari and access this webpage: http://guides.himmelfarb.gwu.edu/anesthesia
- In the upper right of the Safari screen, click on the box with an up arrow.
- Select Add to Home Screen; you may also choose Add Bookmark.
3. GW email
- From your home screen, go to Settings.
- In Settings, tap Password & Accounts.
- Tap Add Account then choose Google.
- On the Google login screen, enter your GW User ID formatted as GWUserID@email.gwu.edu then hit Go (no password entered).
- On the GW email screen, enter your enter your GW User ID formatted as GWUserID@email.gwu.edu and password.
- Choose the items you want to sync (Mail plus Contacts, Calendars, Reminders according to your preference) then tap Save.
- Press the Home button then access Mail. After a minute or two you will see your email begin to appear in your Inbox.
4. VM Horizon
About this app: App required to access GW MFA TouchWorks system.
To access GW MFA TouchWorks:
- Download app: VM Horizon Client
- Enter server address: mypc.mfa.gwu.edu and Description: GW MFA
- Enter your MFA Network login/password.
- A virtual desktop should display; double-click the icon for Allscripts TouchWorks and enter your TouchWorks login/password.
Additional MFA TouchWorks Resources
5. Citrix Workspace
About this app: App required to access GW Hospital's clinical information systems.
To access GW Hospital system:
- Download app: Citrix Workspace
- Access the GW Hospital Remote Portal.
- Login then click on Activate in upper right-hand corner.
- Tip: access the GW Hospital Remote Portal then click the up arrow and select 'Add to Homescreen'.
About this app: DynaMed is a point-of-care information resource which includes drug and disease information. DynaMed contains more topics than epocrates+ and also provides more detail on clinical interventions and the quality of evidence for that information. DynaMed is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to find evidence-based information on specific conditions including diagnostic approaches
- App: once installed, this option works with or without WiFi; requires verification every three months in order to remain accessible and update with the latest information.
- Mobile-optimized web: requires WiFi access; authenticates with GW UserID/password which can be saved on your device.
- Access DynaMed then click on Sign in followed by Register now and create a personal DynaMed account.
- Download app: DynaMed
- Open the DynaMed app then select Sign in and provide your personal DynaMed username and password.
- Maintenance: to maintain app access, access DynaMed then click on Sign in and authenticate to your personal DynaMed account at least once every twelve months.
Mobile-optimized Web Access
- Go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode to ON and/or WiFi off.
- Click on this link and hold down on it, then select Copy: https://himmelfarb.gwu.edu/db/DynaMed-Plus
- Access Safari and paste the copied web address.
- Click Go. The page will fail to load, but the address will stay the same.
- Click the up arrow icon then select Add to Homescreen.
- Change the name of the site to DynaMed
- Go to Settings and turn Airplane Mode to OFF and/or turn WiFi on.
About this app: Lexicomp is a comprehensive clinical drug information app including Lexi-Drugs and Lexi-Interact. Lexicomp is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to look up specific drugs; to identify possible drug interactions; to identify visually identify drugs.
Note: do not activate a Lexicomp trial as your iTunes account will be charged $29.99/month. Please follow the below instructions in order to activate Lexicomp at no charge via Himmelfarb Library's subscription.
- Access Lexicomp and click on the blue button labeled Mobile Access Codes.
- Select the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad platform and that you are a new customer; copy the authorization code displayed in red. You can copy directly from your iPad by holding your finger on the code and selecting copy from the pop-up menu.
- Create a personal Lexicomp account then login to your Lexicomp account.
- Under Add a Subscription by Code, paste or type the Lexicomp authorization code. To paste, hold your finger in the desired location and choose Paste from the pop-up menu.
- Download app: Lexicomp
- Open the Lexicomp app and login with your Lexicomp login/password; Lexicomp content will automatically load to your iPad.
- Maintenance: Lexicomp issues a new subscription code each April; watch for the code which is distributed via the resident listserv.
About this app: BrowZine is a bookshelf app which allows you to select your favorite full-text journals from Himmelfarb Library's online collections to scan issues and read or save articles. BrowZine is designed to help you keep up with your favorite journals and stay up to date in your field.
When you will use it: This app is designed to help you stay up-to-date on information in your field and can be customized to mirror your specific interests.
- Signup for a BrowZine account. Note: you will be prompted to verify the account via email.
- Download app: BrowZine.
- On your iPad, open the BrowZine app and then select Settings and choose George Washington University – Himmelfarb Library.
- A login screen will display automatically; login with your GW UserID and password.
- Select BrowZine Library and then Titles A-Z.
- Locate Anesthesiology and the Anesthesia & Analgesia; add each of these journals to your Bookshelf. Note: You will be prompted to login to your Browzine account.
- You may also add additional titles of interest to you to your BrowZine Bookshelf.
9. Medical Letter
About this app: The Medical Letter publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of previously approved drugs.
- Access The Medical Letter and register for mobile access.
- Download app: Medical Letter.
- On your iPad, open the Medical Letter app then login.
- Maintenance: your Medical Letter personal account will remain active for two years; after two years, you will receive an email alerting you to how to renew your access.
About this app: OneNote is note-taking program for free-form information gathering and multi-user collaboration. OneNote will allow you to highlight an annotate book chapters which you download/upload in PDF format.
When you will use it: to take notes in class including adding notes to instructor presentations.
- Download app: OneNote.
- Access OneNote then click on tool wheel and select Login.
- To login, enter your UserID@email.gwu.edu along with the associated password.
11. Additional Recommendations 22-23