Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Quick Tool : add proxy prefix
How can I create a durable URL quickly?
Link by PMID, DOI, ISBN or ISSN
Does the article have a PMID (PubMed Identification #)?
Does the article have a DOI (example: 10.1001/jama.2017.9477)?
How can a link to an e-book or e-journal be created using an ISBN or ISSN number?
Pre-Formatted links: EBSCO, Ovid & Proquest
Is the full-text article available via EBSCO, Ovid, or Proquest?
- Use the full-text links provided within the article or book:
- EBSCO: Permalink
- Ovid: Email Jumpstart
- Proquest: Document URL
- Do NOT use the displayed URL; the displayed URL will work for only a short period of time.
We will create durable links for you!
Library staff are ready to help! Send us your syllabus and we will:
- Check for broken links and update links as needed.
- Ensure that links work from on- and off-campus locations.
- Add new links to materials in Himmelfarb Library's collections.
Please contact: email@example.com
Durable Links FAQ
What is a durable link?
- A link that will consistently deliver access to an e-journal or e-book regardless of if the user if on- or off-campus?
- A link that connects the user to the copy of an e-journal or e-book provided by Himmelfarb Library?
Why should I use durable links instead of PDFs?
- Durable links connect students to required and recommended readings and do not require faculty to obtain copyright permission.
What does a durable link look like?
- A durable link combines the proxy prefix which hooks the link into Himmelfarb Library: http://proxygw.wrlc.org/login?url= with a stable URL for the item (example: http://www.nejm.org). The two components are combined with no spaces: http://proxygw.wrlc.org/login?url=http://www.nejm.org
- Durable links may also be created by using a standard number from the item to create a link: the PMID for PubMed articles, the ISBN for books, and the ISSN for journals.
If an e-book as limited simultaneous users online, can I create a PDF and load it to Blackboard?
- No: creating a PDF and loading it to Blackboard may violate copyright as this could affect the sale of the original work. Please contact the Himmelfarb Library Reserves Department by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone at 202-994-2962 so that we can assess options.
Where can I learn more about copyright and 'fair use' of materials?
How many users/copies/seats are available for specific books or articles?
- Most electronic resources available via Himmelfarb Library provide 'unlimited users' access, however some resource permit a fixed number of concurrent users.
- To ensure adequate access for your students, please check with Ian Roberts (email@example.com or 202-994-3685) prior to assigning a reading to fifteen or more students.