Skip to main content
Tools to manage references and generate citations
AMA Manual of Style Online
Do you need help citing in AMA style? The AMA Manual of Style is now available online from Himmelfarb Library!
Alternatives to RefWorks
RefWorks is the reference manager recommended and supported by the Himmelfarb Library. The following are alternatives to RefWorks:
Create bibliographies in MLA, APA, Chicago, or Turabian styles only. Create a bib. using auto-fill or manual options. Register and login to save your bibliographies.
Registration required. Supports multiple citation styles.
MLA, APA, and Chicago styles only. Type and go! Login optional.
Free to GW students, staff and faculty.
KnightCite Citation Creator
Online citation generator service provided by the Hekman Library of Calvin College. Create citation in APA, MLA and Chicago style.
Free reference manager and academic social network helps you organize your research & collaborate with others online
Microsoft Word 2019 has a reference management tool built into the Reference toolbar, but you will only save your reference locally onto the document.
Works with Firefox only. Download extension from Zotero website. Supports hundreds of different citation styles.
What is RefWorks?
What is RefWorks? RefWorks is an online research management, writing and collaboration tool. It is designed to help researchers easily gather, manage, store and share all types of information, as well as generate citations and bibliographies.
Why should you use RefWorks?
- One "click" and you can generate bibliographies in any citation style format. (APA, AMA, MLA and more!)
- Allows you to create & organize your own personal database of references.
- Import your references directly from databases, journals or the library catalog and avoid emailing or the need to save to a USB flashdrive.
- Makes collaboration easier during group projects allowing you to share your RefWorks folder of references.
New Users: Getting Started!
- Go to Himmelfarb Library's Homepage
- Under Accounts Click RefWorks
- Select "Sign up for an Individual Account" and complete the new user information form.
- You will receive an email from RefWorks confirming your login username and password
Note: You will need the Group Code for GWUMC to access RefWorks off-campus.