Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Health Information @ Himmelfarb
Do I need to login to Health Information @ Himmelfarb to get access to all materials?
- From on-campus locations, you will see all available search results without logging in.
- From off-campus locations, most search results are displayed regardless of login. However, Scopus search results are displayed only for users logged in to Health Information @ Himmelfarb or logged into the VPN.
Why should I login to Health Information @ Himmelfarb?
- To see what library items you have checked out and renew them.
- To submit requests for document delivery including Consortium Loan Service and Documents2Go requests.
- To see results that include Scopus records when searching from off-campus locations.
Can I use the Gelman Library?
- Online materials: yes. Himmelfarb Library users can still search the Gelman Library collection and access Gelman Library electronic full-text articles and books - and vice versa. You do not need to login to the search tool to access online books and journal articles.
- Print/physical materials: yes. Himmelfarb users can also obtain holdings and call number location for items in Gelman's Library's print and physical collection, and will be able to check these materials out at the Gelman Library Circulation Desk.
- WRLC holdings: no, but you may request these materials via Himmelfarb Library. For materials owned by WRLC libraries, users will see the 'Check for available services' label along with a login request. To request these materials, users must login to the search system for their home library and then submit the Consortium Loan Service request for the item.
Gelman Library/Burns Library is my home library. Can I use the Himmelfarb Library?
- Online materials: yes. All GW affiliates can still search the Himmelfarb Library collection and access Himmelfarb Library electronic full-text articles and books. You do not need to login to the search tool to access online books and journal articles.
- Print/physical materials: yes. Gelman/Burns users can also obtain holdings and call number location for items in Himmelfarb Library's print and physical collection. Due to Himmelfarb Library's access policy, most Gelman/Burns users should contact Circulation to arrange to pick-up materials; please contact Kathy Lyons (202-994-1829) or Catherine Sluder (202-994-9453).
- Search results including Scopus: yes. Scopus is one of many resources included in Health Information @ Himmelfarb searches. Scopus results are included in search results for on-campus users, users logged into Health Information @ Himmelfarb, and off-campus users accessing via the VPN.
- WRLC holdings: no, but you may request these materials via your home library. For materials owned by WRLC libraries, users will see the 'Check for available services' label along with a login request. To request these materials, users must submit the request from their home library.
I'm a GWSPH undergraduate student - should I use Himmelfarb Library or Gelman Library?
You may use either (or both!) libraries to access online books and journal articles. To see your account information including checkouts and place document delivery and Consortium Loan Service requests, you should login to your home library:
- For undergraduate students who have declared a public health major, Himmelfarb Library will be your 'home' library and you will be able to login to the Health Information @ Himmelfarb search tool.
- For undergraduate students taking a public health course without declaring a public major, Gelman Library will be your 'home' library and you will be able to login to the search tool on the Gelman Library webpage.
How do I sign in?
- Access Himmelfarb Library and then enter a search in the Health Information @ Himmelfarb search box or go directly to http://himmelfarb.gwu.edu/catalog/.
- Click on Sign In in the upper right corner of the Health Information @ Himmelfarb screen.
- Enter your GW UserID (firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
Logging into GW Resources
Logging into GW Resources
You can login to most GW resources (e.g. email, Blackboard, library, GW Box, etc.) with your GW UserID and password. Your UserID will look different depending on if you created your GW account before or after May 22, 2022.
|Accounts created before May 22, 2022
An ID you provided when you claimed your account
Your full email address is your UserID followed by "@gwmail.gwu.edu" (students) or "@email.gwu.edu" (faculty/staff).
"UserID@gwu.edu" can be used as a short form of your email address.
Example: email@example.com (faculty/staff), firstname.lastname@example.org (student)
|Accounts created after May 22, 2022
Same as GWID
Firstname.Lastname, followed by "@gwmail.gwu.edu" (students) or "@email.gwu.edu" (faculty/staff). In cases where multiple individuals share the same first and last name, a number will be added to the last name.
"FirstName.Lastname@gwu.edu / FirstName.Lastnameemail@example.com" can be used as a short form of your email address.
Example: Jane.Doe@email.gwu.edu (faculty/staff), John.Doe6@gwmail.gwu.edu (student)
Regardless of your UserID/Email Address style, there may be minor variations in login depending on the service. Here are some of the most common setups to be aware of:
|Most resources (using GW single sign-on)
Your UserID followed by "@gwu.edu"
Examples: firstname.lastname@example.org (legacy accounts), G12345678@gwu.edu (new accounts)
Examples: jdoe3 (legacy accounts), G12345678 (new accounts)
GW Identity and Access Management
Official site on managing your GW identity, including how to claim your UserID, reset your password, set up 2-step authentication, update your legal or chosen name, and more.
Answers to many common questions about the May 2022 switch to OneIdentity and the changes to UserID and email address for new users.
Health Information @ Himmelfarb
Get help at the Reference Desk, 1st floor, Himmelfarb Library.
Reference Desk Phone:
Circulation Desk Phone:
(202) 994-2962 (open 24 hours)