Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
These instructions are designed to assist 1st year medical students with setting up their iPads.
If you have any difficulty in completing the iPad set up tasks, please contact:
GW IT Help Desk
- (202) 994-GWIT (4948) OR firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mon-Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Location: Himmelfarb Library 3rd Floor
Himmelfarb Library Reference
If you have additional questions, please contact:
Himmelfarb Library's App Shelf provides information on the library's app collection including instructions for connecting these apps to the Library's institutional subscription in order to access premium app content.
The App Shelf provides information on additional Information Apps for specialty content (Visible Body Human Anatomy Atlas, Board Vitals, etc.) as well as additional apps including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.
1. Name your iPad
Your iPad came with a generic name, but you will want to personalize the name.
- On your iPad, access Settings then select General.
- Select About and then select Name.
- Provide your name.
2. Cisco AnyConnect
About this app: The Cisco AnyConnect client allows secure remote access to GW systems including Himmelfarb Library resources. This app will allow you to access Himmelfarb Library resources and other resources from off-campus locations as though you were on the GW campus.
When you'll use it: AnyConnect VPN can be used to connect to Himmelfarb Library's online collections from off-campus locations; you don't need to use AnyConnect VPN when you are on-campus..
Open the AnyConnect app on your iPad.
Tap Connections and choose Add VPN Connection.
Enter the following information in the form that appears:
Server Address: go.vpn.gwu.edu
Tap Save to save the connection.
Move the slider to the right next to AnyConnect VPN to start a connection.
Enter your NetID and password and tap Connect to connect to the GWU VPN network.
3. Google Drive
About this app: Google Drive provides you access to the document storage portion of your GMail accounts including your GWmail account.
When you will use it: secure storage for documents; can be used to back-up documents from selected apps on your iPad .
- Access settings then select Add Account.
- Use your NetID@gwmail.gwu.edu as the username and tap Sign in; you don't need to enter the password on this screen.
- On the GW login screen, enter both your NetID and Password then click Sign-on.
About this app: box is a cloud-based storage and collaboration service which is been licensed by GW for your use.
When you will use it: to security store documents and back-up files.
- Access to login to https://gwu.box.com then select Continue to create a GW Box account.
- Login with GWNetID@gwu.edu and the password.
- Access the box app on your iPad, then login with GWNetID@gwu.edu and the password.
5. Poll Everywhere
About this app: PollEverywhere is an audience response app used to respond to surveys and questions live during class
When you will use it: to participate in sessions and respond to questions during class.
- You received your login (NetID@gwu.edu) and password via email on Tuesday, August 3. If you need to reset your password, access https://www.polleverywhere.com/login then select Forgot your password?
- Open the Poll Everywhere app on your iPad.
- Tap the I’m participating button.
- Tap the Log in button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Enter your GW email address (GWNetID@gwu.edu) as the Username and your password, then tap Log In.
- In Class: Look for your instructor's username on the slide to join each Poll Everywhere session during class. Enter the instructor's username in the PollEv.com/ field and click the Join button to participate in polls.
6. Wēpa (Printing)
About this app: Wēpa (We Print Anywhere) is the printing system at GW. Wēpa is a cloud-based printing system which allows you to submit a print job from any location on campus, including from your iPad, and pick up the print job at any location. Print kiosks are available at Himmelfarb Library (1st and 3rd floors) as well as at other campus locations. Wēpa provides black and white as well as color printing. The charge for black and white printing is $0.09 per sheet, or $0.10 per sheet ($0.05/side) if printing double-sided. The charge for color printing is $0.70 per sheet ($0.35/side if printing double-sided.) You may pay with your GWorld Card, credit card (a $0.40 transaction fee is applied), or funds deposited into your Wēpa account.
When you will use it: if you want to print any course materials or other documents while you are at GW.
- Open the Wēpa app and swipe left through the tutorial.
- Select Choose your School, then choose The George Washington University. Hint: type George.
- Login with your GW email address (NetID@gwu.edu) and password.
- To test, open Google Drive app then open any document.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen then select Share & Export.
- Select Send a Copy then choose Wēpa Print and follow the prompts.
About this app: Panopto is an app which permits access to videos of lectures from you iPad. Panopto is intended as a study tool, not a substitute for class attendance. Please note that recordings include only voice/screen – not laser pointer, whiteboard, or panels. While most sessions are recorded, some instructors or guest speakers may not permit recording; in addition, technology sometimes fails and so sessions may be missed.
When you'll use it: to view the recording of a class either because you missed it or for review purposes.
- Access the Pantopto app
- Set up the address: smhsgwu.hosted.panopto.com
- Next to Account choose Blackboard
- Login with your Blackboard login/password.
- To test access: search for Zika then play video.
8. Epocrates Plus
About this app: Epocrates Plus is a point-of-care information resource which includes drug and disease information. Epocrates Plus is the app version of Epocrates Essentials and is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to find evidence-based information on specific conditions including diagnostic approaches.
- Email email@example.com for download instructions.
About this app: DynaMed is a point-of-care information resource which includes drug and disease information. DynaMed contains more topics than Epocrates Essentials and also provides more detail on clinical interventions and the quality of evidence for that information. DynaMed is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
Requires verification: every six months
When you will use it: to find evidence-based information on specific conditions including diagnostic approaches
- Access DynaMed then click on Sign in followed by Register now and create a personal DynaMed account.
- Open the DynaMed app then select Sign in and provide your personal DynaMed username and password.
About this app: Lexicomp is a comprehensive clinical drug information app including Lexi-Drugs and Lexi-Interact. Lexicomp is provided to you courtesy of Himmelfarb Library.
When you will use it: to look up specific drugs; to identify possible drug interactions; to identify visually identify drugs.
Caution: the below instructions will allow you to activate Lexicomp at no charge via Himmelfarb Library's subscription. Do not activate a Lexicomp trial which will incur a $29.99/month charge to your iTunes account.
- Access Lexi-Comp and click on the blue button labeled Mobile Access Codes.
- Select the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad platform and that you are a new customer; copy the authorization code displayed in red. You can copy directly from your iPad by holding your finger on the code and selecting copy from the pop-up menu.
- Create a personal Lexicomp account then login to your Lexicomp account.
- Under Add a Subscription by Code, paste or type the Lexicomp authorization code. To paste, hold your finger in the desired location and choose Paste from the pop-up menu.
- On your iPad, open Lexicomp and login with your Lexicomp login/password; Lexicomp content will automatically load to your iPad.
About this app: OneNote is note-taking program for free-form information gathering and multi-user collaboration. It gathers users' notes, drawings, screen clippings, and audio commentaries. Notes can be shared with other OneNote users.
When you will use it: to take notes in class including adding notes to instructor presentations.
- Access OneNote then click on tool wheel, then select Login.
- To login, enter your email as GWNetID@gwu.edu along with the associated password.
Please note: to complete the two final steps of your iPad set-up, you will need information which will be distributed via email by Kyle Dobbeck. Once you have that information, please return to complete these final steps.
1. Google Calendar
About this app: class schedules and locations.
When you'll use it: daily in order to know when and where your classes will occur.
- On Friday August 6 at 2 p.m., you will gain access your courses via Blackboard; login to Blackboard using your GW NetID/password, access the Foundations course, then click on Calendar from the left hand menu.
- Using a laptop/desktop computer, login to your GW email account then open the Calendar area.
- Click the + sign next to 'Other Calendar' and then select 'From URL' and copy/paste each curricular calendar.
- On your iPad, open the Calendars app and ensure that you have access to each of the curricular calendars. You should have these calendars available:
- MS I (Class of 2025) Students
- LC calendar
About this app: secure, offline testing application for iPad.
When you'll use it: to take exams.
- Watch your email account for an email from Kathleen Kline/Office of Medical Education with your Examply account information; the email will arrive prior to or during your first week of class.
- Sign in to Examplify app and download exam.
- Complete the Introduction to SofTest quiz. This ungraded quiz will not take more than 10 minutes to complete and is used to verify that you have correctly downloaded and installed the software and to familiarize you with the Examplify platform.
- Upload your answers to the quiz.