Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to the MS4 Clerkships Research Guide!
For each of the anesthesiology, emergency medicine, and neurology clerkships, you'll find information resources to support your education and patient care. For each clerkship, you will see
- Best Bets - the top 2-3 full-text resources for your searches.
- Key Textbooks - the best textbooks for education and study.
- Mobile/Handheld - apps for your phone or ipad so you can access information 24/7.
- Recommended resources - additional sites and/or tools identified by clerkship directors.
- Research articles - links to PubMed and MEDLINE.
Shelf Prep Materials
The following sources are licensed by Himmelfarb Library and free to our affiliates
BoardVitals: Shelf Exam
Shelf Board review questions targeted for use during clerkship rotations. Features include timed exam conditions, individualized study recommendations, and exam study tips. Instructions: Access BoardVitals and then create personal account.
Question banks to support study for USMLE Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3 exams. Users can create custom exams for study or take practice exams to simulate the timing, blocks, and questions for a realistic exam experience.
Access: available from on-campus locations and via VPN from off-campus locations. Create free personal account to access.
The following sources have been recommended by GW medical students and may require personal subscription
Web-based self-assessments to US and international medical students and graduates; practice shelf exams can purchased for $50.
UWorld Step 2 CK
Flashcards, self-assessments, question bank
Subscriptions for self-assessments, questionbanks, and biostatistics review for purchase
Find specific shelf prep materials on each clerkship tab.
GW MFA Epic Access
MFA Epic login via desktop/laptop computer
- Check that VM Horizon is installed on your computer; to download VM Horizon software, access https://mypc.mfa.gwu.edu
- Double-click on VM Horizon Client icon on your computer's desktop.
- Click on 'New Server' on the top-left of the window OR double-click 'Add Server', then enter the name of the Connection Server: mypc.mfa.gwu.edu and click on Connect.
- Enter your MFA Network login/password then click on 'Login'.
- A virtual desktop should display; double-click the icon for Epic and enter your Epic login/password.
Need assistance with your login/password: call MFA IT at 202-741-3636
Independent Reading: Recommendations