Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is RefWorks?
What is RefWorks? RefWorks is an online research management, writing and collaboration tool. It is designed to help researchers easily gather, manage, store and share all types of information, as well as generate citations and bibliographies.
Why should you use RefWorks?
- One "click" and you can generate bibliographies in any citation style format. (APA, AMA, MLA and more!)
- Allows you to create & organize your own personal database of references.
- Import your references directly from databases, journals or the library catalog and avoid emailing or the need to save to a USB flashdrive.
- Makes collaboration easier during group projects allowing you to share your RefWorks folder of references.
New Users: Getting Started!
- Go to Himmelfarb Library's Homepage
- Under Accounts Click RefWorks
- Select "Sign up for an Individual Account" and complete the new user information form.
- You will receive an email from RefWorks confirming your login username and password
Microsoft 365 Available to Students
GW Writing Center
GW Writing Center is an open, welcoming, professional environment within which members of the GW community can receive dedicated attention to their writing and research projects.
(See: GW Writing Center Policies)
Distance Learning: Schedule your appointment through the online system and send your paper (at least 24 hours in advance) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the name of your tutor, time of your session, and number you will be calling from.
Non-Native English Speaking Students: For specific writing help as a non-native English speaking student, please look into scheduling your appointment at the Language Center.
Citation and Style Guides
Writing a bibliography doesn't have to be a confusing process!
For a good reference on APA Style go to the Purdue APA Citation Style Guide.
- Himmelfarb Guide to AMA Citation Style
- Himmelfarb Guide to APA Citation Style
AMA Stat! for Research Papers by Dr. Abel Scribe
Detailed instructions on formatting, text rules, and documentation. Find out how to set up your research paper from this web site.
APA: FAQ (By The American Psychological Association)
APA's Publication Manual, 6th Edition, provides FAQs to help clarify frequent areas of confusion.
Citation Style for Research Papers
Guide to MLA, APA, AMA, Turabian and Chicago styles from University of Long Island
Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Produced by the Writing Lab at Purdue University, online reference on how to cite in APA style format. Includes in-text citation, reference list in both print and electronic sources. Great for help with grammar, punctuation and spelling.
Style Examples, Citing and Referencing Tutorial
Created by Monash University, provides examples of how to format citations in several styles including APA.
AMA Manual of Style Online
Do you need help citing in AMA style? The AMA Manual of Style is now available online from Himmelfarb Library!